Thursday 9 May 2013

May 9, 2013 - Thursday

My trusty chauffeur Richard picked me up at 8:10 this morning and he drove me to Coaldale.  We drove through Prairie land, he showed me irrigation systems, coulee, and talked to me about farming.  I did two sessions in Coaldale and the kids of all ages really enjoyed the storytelling.  One little girl lives on a farm and helps out with the chores.  One little boy lives on a sheep farm but he told me that his sisters do the work.  When we were done we drove to a German Bakery and bought sandwiches for the ride.  Delicious!  
We arrived in Enchant which pretty much only has a Main Street.  One school with grades right up to grade 9.  Today was a Mennonite holiday - Assention so none of the Mennonite kids were in school.  Some kids from another town, Lomond came instead.  I asked the children what was special about Enchant and they told me a whole bunch of things.  Enchant is 100 years old.  They have a great ice- cream parlour which is only open in the summer.  I think the kids from Lomond said that they had one paved road. These kids really loved my stories.  Even the grade 9 students were engaged.  
Tonight I had a delicious supper with Richard and his wife Alice.  They have both been most kind to me.  
One more school tomorrow and then I fly home.  I am looking forward to Seven Persons School tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment